The importance of retargeting your site visitors

The importance of retargeting your site visitors Parallax Image

Retargeting ads use the Google Display Network, and social media, to virtually follow people around after they’ve clicked on your site and left again. According to Adroll, just 2% of shoppers convert on their first visit to a site. Without retargeting, the remaining 98% might never come back.

The most effective approach depends on your business type, but some of the best examples answer questions that prevent someone from buying, show them highly specific targeted products they’ve already shown an interest in, or increase the urgency.

An effective retargeting ad needs to satisfy whatever meant the site visitor didn’t complete a specific action the first time.

Why you can't afford not to retarget

Ecommerce sites in particularly can be very specific and segmented with their retargeting ads. 72% of British online shoppers abandon their bag without buying anything. They’ve committed to a point, and they know what they want, but they’re not quite ready to click ‘Buy’.

Retargeting can often be the push a potential customer needs to go back to their basket, be it an extra discount, the offer of free shipping, or a reminder that one of their abandoned items is selling out fast.

It’s because of these browsing habits that 68% of agencies and 49% of brands are investing more in retargeting than straightforward display advertising that shows to people at random.

The simpler the messaging, the better

Ads need to be designed in various sizes, some quite substantial and some very small. They’ll fit in all areas of a web page and be distributed around the Google Display Network.

If your users are buying on mobile – the percentage exceeded 50% for the first time in 2016 – then your retargeting ad space should take advantage of social media too. That means even fewer pixels for your designer and copywriter to play with, so the messaging needs to be simple and ideally have one call to action. Choose the most important offer or benefit to focus on and keep the click through as simple as possible.

The messaging is one element, but the segmenting and the targeting itself is where a lot of the most important detail comes in. Ecommerce sites can get really specific, displaying to those who have previously clicked on specific products and categories. They can use this to suggest other products they might like, or even upsell them. B2B sites can show specific ads to people who’ve visited service landing pages and continue their education.

Consider your site visitor's frame of mind

What do you need to do to convince a potential customer to perform a specific action? What could have changed when someone returns to your site? It’s important to answer these questions before you create your ads and segment your site visitors, because it will ensure your budget is allocated in the most useful way.

If your product or service is often an inexpensive impulse purchase, your retargeting ads need to focus on the speed and ease of a transaction, or remind the potential buyer that stock is limited.

There are varying stats on how many times a browser needs to visit a B2B site before they make a decision, but it’s without doubt a longer buying process because the product or service usually has a higher cost. Retargeting for B2B should propel someone along that education path and answer their biggest questions.

Retargeting can enhance the way you communicate with customers past, present and future, and can be segmented in even more detail than many other forms of display advertising, because it speaks to people who are already familiar with your brand. Segmenting your existing audience is step one, the retargeting platform will do the rest.


Return back to Knowledge

Related Articles

Find out how Leads To You can grow your business…

Connect with us